In this week’s installment of Tsh Oxenreider’s “52 Bites,” I’m hitting week 3, “Establishing Your Morning Routine.” With a 3.5 year old, a 2 month old and a telecommuting spouse who opens up shop anywhere between 4-8am daily, “routine” is a stretch… Mornings are typically chaotic, hectic, and fraught with anxiety. I expect this state can oh be heightened when I go back to work. So, I’m fully on board with this week’s bite!
Oxenreider stresses that you do the essentials first, before beginning your day. Choose five tasks and do them first thing in the morning, in the same order every day. Your list of five tasks should be written down and hung prominently until it becomes a habit.
Here is what I’ll be tackling in the morning:
1. Shower and fully primp – hair, makeup, and non-yoga pant outfit (gotta keep up with these Texan girls)
2. Make and pack kids’ meals for daycare
3. Prepare our grown up breakfasts and lunches (we’re on a diet plan…starting next week…I mean it…)
4. Create and review my to do list for the day
5. Check, respond to, and clear personal email, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc messages
Phew. Mind you, this all must be accomplished by 7am when O wakes up and may possibly have to be done one-handed, while holding H in the other.
Setting the alarm now for 5:30am, ugh…