Look at this dizzy jackass, does she look happy to you?
I can’t stand having a bunch of paper crap scattered around the house, it makes me batsh!t crazy. So this week’s “bites” were a good reminder to take a walk around the place and clear up some of this nonsense.
#8 – Streamline Your Mail
The goal here is to keep mail from entering the house at all
• Toss in recycling/trash by mailboxes if possible
• Opt out of junk mail (go to http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt063.shtm for more information)
• For any flyer or notice related to an upcoming event, jot it on your calendar and toss the paper into recycling
• Make your bills paperless
At our casa, all of the incoming mail goes into the in bin on the entry table. Sometimes I’ll sort it right when I get into the house, tossing the junk and putting the rest in the in-bin. The stuff in the in-bin is further processed 1x/week – into either pay, file, or to-do areas in my home office. Wherever I possible (and when I remember), we have paperless billing established on our accounts. However, and this is because I’m an old luddite, part of me still likes getting a paper statement every month that I can review and file for future reference.
#9 – Streamline Your Receipt System
If you really want to make my blood boil, just litter the house with receipts…little slips of crap jammed into every crevice of the place. Hate it. Sometimes it’s inevitable – but 90% of the time, there is NO REASON to hold on to receipts.
Only keep the following:
• receipts for large purchases that come with warranties
• medical receipts (especially if you’re on an individual health insurance plan)
• tax deductible receipts (charity donations, home office expenses, etc).
• anything you need for your business expense report
Each of these categories should have its own plastic folio/envelope and applicable recipts should go right into them. All else should go directly into the trash.
If you REALLY want to free yourself from your paper shackles, consider one of these receipt scanners : http://www.squidoo.com/best-receipt-scanners. I’m saving my pennies for one of those NeatDesk dealies (drool).
Now forge on, with your newly paper-free selves….